Dec 15, 2007

The Never Ending Mexico ENUM Tests

Well, I really have to wonder about who is behind the Mexico ENUM tests at enum.org.mx.

I think it Must Be Telmex and Sr. Carlos Slime (SP? - Really?). These folks have been in testing now for I think over two years, and you can still not put a real phone number in their database! They issue fake seven digit numbers for the ENUM tests. I mean that is great for testing but we want it in production, especially now that more and more SIP service providers come online in Mexico.

For those of you who do not know TelMex owns the local telephone loop and does not make it available to CLECs , or at least not at a reasonable price. This forces CLECs to use alternate methods to deliver local Telephone service. VoIP is rapidly becoming the method of choice. Unfortunately I have not yet found any open SIP proxies from any of them to send calls to, but perhaps that MIGHT change if there were a real Mexico ENUM database. It is the old chicken or the egg....

I mean I could see exactly why Telmex, who probably donates heavily to the Tech de Monterrey would want to hinder ENUM in Mexico.

No comments: